About the Paul Laurence Dunbar Library
Wright State's University Library was dedicated in 1973 and then renamed in 1992 to honor Dayton-born Paul Laurence Dunbar. Planned by architect Don Hisaka, the building was the cover photo for the August 1975 Architectural Record. The library is known for its triangular shape and for its skylighted, multistory atrium.
A full-scale replica of the 1903 Wright Flyer is suspended in the atrium of the library. It was conceived and built by a dedicated group of volunteer model makers, mechanics, engineers, woodworkers, and seamstresses under the leadership of Howard R. DuFour. After over 4,000 hours of volunteer time, the 1903 Wright Flyer was completed in September 2001 and make its ascent in the library atrium.