Borrowing Policy for WSU Friends of the Libraries, WSU Alumni, Reciprocal Borrowers and other users
Requirements for Borrowing
Borrowers must be current members of the WSU Friends of the Libraries, gold members of the WSU Alumni Association, or present a valid library card from one of the following reciprocal institutions:
- Air Force Institute of Technology
- Air Force Research Laboratory
- Employment Opportunity Commission
- English Language Multicultural Institute
- Miami Jacobs College
- United Theological Seminary
Other Affiliated and fee-based users are also covered by this policy, including courtesy card holders or students from:
- Children's Medical Center
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- Grandview Hospital
- Kettering College
- Kettering Medical Center
- Miami Valley Hospital
- Veteran's Affairs Medical Center
A photo ID AND a membership or library card or other proof of affiliation is required to borrow materials. The University Libraries will issue a WSU library card if you do not already have a library account in our online circulation system. Lost WSU library cards may be replaced for $5.00.
The University Libraries will accept a driver's license for identification if the information on the license can be verified by a current library record in our online circulation system.
A barcoded library card is preferred to borrow materials in person from other OhioLINK libraries or WSU affiliated libraries, but a unique identifier and photo ID is acceptable.
Fees for Friends of the Library Accounts
- Friends of the Library
- Webster (Individual borrowing level membership), $50.00/year
- Bookworm membership, including 2 library cards, $125.00/year
- Infophile membership, including 2 library cards, $500.00/year
- WSU Alumni Association Members: no charge except gold Alumni Association membership
- Other Users: no charge with proof of affiliation
Limits on Borrowing
Borrowing is normally limited to a total of 5 items, including up to 5 media items. Exceptions may be authorized by the Head of Information Delivery Services. Borrowers may also place requests on up to 5 items including OhioLINK and SearchOhio items.
- Circulating books may be borrowed for 28 days unless recalled for course reserves.
- Media materials are due in 7 days.
- SearchOhio books are due in 21 days.
- SearchOhio media (not DVDs) are due in 21 days.
- OhioLINK media and SearchOhio DVDs are due in 7 days.
- Reserves, Local Hospital Library and ERC (Education Resource Center) loan periods may vary.
Renewing and Account Information
- Most books may be renewed 2 times.
- Books which have been requested by others users may not be renewed.
- Most circulating media materials may be renewed one time.
- When the renewal limit has been reached, items must be returned to the library to be discharged.
- OhioLINK books may be renewed up to 6 times and media up to 3 times, if not needed at the owning institution.
- SearchOhio books and media may be renewed up to 3 times if not needed at the owning library.
- Account information including online renewals, books checked out, requested items and fines owed are available by logging into My Account
- Local Hospital Library and ERC (Education Resource Center) renewals may vary.
Books may be returned to the University Libraries or any affiliated hospital library location. Although an outside book drop is available at the Dunbar Library, non-book materials should be returned at the Circulation Desk. A receipt may be requested when paying a fine.
Log into My Account to check material due dates and overdue fines.
WSU Dunbar and Lake Campus Library Books and Audio Visuals
- Fines are $.50/day beginning on the first day overdue
- Fines and fees are replaced by a non-refundable billing fee of $50.00 on the 50th day overdue
OhioLINK - Books
- Day 1-6 overdue: no fine
- Day 8-30 overdue: $3.50 + $.50/day
- additional $35.00 processing fee for invoicing
OhioLINK - Media
- $.50/day beginning on the first day overdue
- Day 30 $15 accumulated fines + $35 processing fee for invoicing
SearchOhio - Books and Media
- $.50/day for 50 days
- Day 30 $25 accumulated fines + $25 processing fee for invoicing
Most notices are sent by email if you have provided an email address.
Billed, Lost or Damaged Materials
WSU Dunbar and Lake Campus Library: The minimum replacement fee for any lost or damaged book, periodical, or media item is 1) $75.00 plus a $25.00 processing fee plus fines or 2) a billing fee, if applicable.
- Processing fees are automatically added when an item is billed and are automatically removed if the book is returned in good condition.
- Fines are automatically converted to a $50.00 billing fee when an item is 50 days overdue and reduced to $25.00 if the item is returned in good condition. This fee is not refundable.
- Actual replacement costs will apply if the cost of the item is above $75.00.
OhioLINK replacement fees are $75.00 plus a $35.00 non-refundable processing fee plus fines, if any.
SearchOhio replacement fees are 25.00 plus a $25 non-refundable processing fee.
If the original item is returned after the replacement costs and processing fees have been paid, the borrower may receive some reduction of these charges. The Head of Information Delivery Services determines whether a refund can be issued and the amount.
If a damaged item is repairable, the library will determine the cost of repair and bill accordingly.