On October 31, 1861, the 1st OVI moved from Camp Corwin, near Dayton, Ohio to Cincinnati. On November 4, arms and equipment were issued. Albert Kern, in his 1918 history of the 1st OVI, writes that the men were given “reformed old service muskets, 69 caliber guns, changed from the flint system by the Greenwood Company of Cincinnati, to the percussion system and hurriedly rifled to take the then new type of Minie bullets. These old guns rendered reasonably good service, but will always be remembered by the survivors of the First Ohio, as giving a prodigious “kick” when the heavy charge was fired.”
Search this Blog
Wright State University Libraries' Special Collections and Archives welcomes you to our blog. Join us as we share information, news, and special events; highlight our collections; and discuss archival issues. For more information:
* Visit our website
* Email us
* Visit us on the fourth floor of Dunbar Library
Subscribe to Blog via EmailReceive an email notification when a new post is available.