Library Student Assistant Awards Spring 2016

Seven Library Student Assistant Award (LSAA) recipients were honored today at a ceremony with friends, family, library staff and Friends of the Libraries Board representatives. Students receive $500 to be used for education expenses. 2016 marks the 20th year of the LSAAs. All told, over $160,000 has been awarded.

Library Student Assistants are students and workers in good standing who are nominated by library staff. Students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and cannot receive the award two semesters in a row. Library Student Assistant Awards are funded by contributions to the Campus Scholarship Innovation Campaign from the University Libraries’ staff, with a matching contribution from the Friends of the Libraries. The LSAA selection committee consists of representatives from the University Libraries staff, the University Libraries Administration, and the Friends of the Libraries Board.

University Libraries’ staff would like to congratulate this semester’s winners:

IMG_3882

• Heather Cagle
  • Katie Cassell
  • Ambika Shoemaker
  • Nina Herzog
  • Rebecca Junker
  • Katrina Rigdon (not pictured)
  • Reem Hanna Al-Kass (not pictured)

As part of the LSAA application process, students are required to write a letter about their experiences at Dunbar Library. Here are some of their thoughts:

“The Library’s atmosphere is like a second home… The Library teaches you how to communicate with others, work hard, and persevere even when the going gets tough.” – Heather Cagle

“One of the best decisions I have made as a student is to work at Dunbar Library. I really like the environment and how everyone is kind and caring… My favorite thing to do is help other students find the books they need.” – Reem Hanna Al-Kass

“Working at Dunbar has taught me to keep up with my work, simply from seeing stressed students coming in needing urgent assistance… this position has laid a great research foundation for me with my studies.” – Ambika Shoemaker

“Coming to work here is usually the highlight of my day after a long day of classes…Working for Library Computing Services will provide me with a lot of technical knowledge that will help me when I am a teacher.” – Katie Cassell

“Being able to work here at the Dunbar Library, I was able to relate not only to the archivists, but to the library staff and volunteers who assist them. The experience of working here has helped me grow as a student and provided me with valuable insight into working in a library.”  – Nina Herzog

“I was initially drawn to working at the library because of my love of books… I have a much greater understanding of all our library has to offer… It’s also given me tips for researching, a very important skill needed in the field of nursing.” – Rebecca Junker

“It’s satisfying to take care of the library almost like my own. Working here is rewarding, knowing that when patrons come into the library they will find the resources they need.” – Katrina Rigdon

Congratulations again to our Spring 2016 Library Student Assistant Award recipients!

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Write Together

The University Libraries/University Writing Center relationship is expanding for Spring Semester 2016! With our NEW HOURS, you can now meet with a Reference & Instruction Librarian in the Writing Center:

Monday 12pm – 5pm
Tuesday 10am – 3pm
Wednesday 10am – 3pm
Thursday 12pm – 5pm

If you’re in the Student Success Center and have a question… Ask us! Ask us about finding good sources, citations, online research, using databases… why the sky is blue – anything!

After spring break (March 7-10) and before finals (April 18-21), enjoy our extended Writing Center hours:

Monday 10am – 5pm
Tuesday 10am – 5pm
Wednesday 10am – 5pm
Thursday 10am – 5pm

According to Writing Center Graduate Assistant, Jill Tussing, “The University Writing Center is looking forward to a busy Spring Semester, as we continue growing our partnership with the library. After a very successful first term in our new location, we hope to meet with many students thoughtfully engaged in the writing process and ready to collaborate.”

WritingCenterStaffMeeting

Librarians Maureen Barry, Edith Scarletto, Sue Polanka, Holly Jackson, Ximena Chrisagis, Phil Flynn and Carol Fang (pictured here, upper right) were excited to attend the Writing Center staff meeting in January. The Writing Center is in the midst of preparing for its CRLA (College Reading and Learning Association) certification, which includes focus on developing and delivering significant tutor training. The Library staff wish the Writing Center the best of luck on its CRLA certification – thank you for all you do for our students! We’re happy to be working with you!

WritingCenterTable

Students, not sure where to find us? Look for this table with the University Libraries’ banner. Stop by during Librarian on Duty hours, or make an appointment at the front desk of the Writing Center in advance.

Questions? Email Holly Jackson, Humanities Librarian (holly.jackson@wright.edu).

Our New Online Look

It’s a new year and a new look for University Libraries website at www.libraries.wright.edu. We’ve cleaned up our look and streamlined the process for finding online resources, information about our services and more.

Take it for a spin and then give us your feedback.

NewWebsiteScreenshot

Cloud Computing Workshop January 16

The Friends of the Libraries workshop for online storage and document creation is back and better than ever. Whether you attended last year’s cloud computing workshop or not, plan to attend:

Blue Sky Skills for Cloud Computing
Saturday, January 16 at 10:00 a.m.
Dunbar Library, Room 241

Hosted by Engineering Librarian, Phil Flynn!

Want to share photos? Don’t copy them for your friends’ Facebook posts. Instead, register for the Friends of the Libraries Blue Sky Skills for Cloud Computing and learn how to store, share, create and collaborate on a variety of documents.

Top 5 Reasons to Start Using Cloud Storage:

1. Security – password protection
  2. Space – no need to buy an additional hard drive if you run out of space – just upgrade to the next level of storage (fees vary)
  3. Price – most are cheaper than an external hard drive and many are free up to a certain amount of storage
  4. Global Access – most services are available on a variety of devices
  5. Collaboration – shared documents include instant updates (eliminate the danger of duplicating work), variety of documents, share photos – no more long email chains with document attachments!

Your registration of $10 provides for workshop materials, refreshments and supports the Friends of the Wright State University Libraries. The Friends of the Libraries would like to thank the Wright State staff, faculty and students for your continued support of our programs, service and skills!

FOLworkshopCloud