600 - 1900
American Poetry 1600-1900, English Verse Drama
Contains the full text of over 160,000 poems written in English by
approximately 1,350 poets between the years 600 and 1900.
The database contains the full text of over 4400 poetry collections
listed in the New Cambridge Bibliography of English Literature.
Many of these collections are rare books, unavailable in print
form. While the collection is extensive, it excludes several
categories of works:
- translations into English after 1800
- hymns published after 1800
- works in languages other than English
- poems never published or only published in contemporary newspapers,
journals, or miscellanies
- verse dramas intended for the stage. These are included in the English
Verse Drama database.