Borrowing Policy for WSU Students, Faculty, Staff, Medical Residents, Emeritus Faculty, and Retired Staff
Requirements for Borrowing
Borrowers must be current students, employees, emeritus faculty or retired staff of Wright State University.
- A valid Wright State University Wright One card is the preferred method of identification.
- Lost Wright One cards must be replaced by the Wright One Card Center, but should be reported to the library to prevent unauthorized use.
- The University Libraries will accept a driver's license for identification if the information on the license can be verified by a current library record.
- A Wright One card is preferred to borrow materials in person from other OhioLINK libraries or WSU affiliated libraries, but a unique identifier and photo ID is acceptable.
Library records are automatically added and/or updated daily. If you are new to the university, library staff may manually add a record for you, using your ID card. Faculty who are also on staff at one of the affiliated hospitals may use either their WSU ID or the hospital library card.
Limits on Borrowing
Undergraduate students are limited to a total of 50 items, including up to 5 media items. Undergraduate students may place requests on 50 items including 25 OhioLINK or SearchOhio items.
Graduate students, faculty, staff, medical residents, and retired faculty and staff may borrow a total of 200 items, including up to 10 media items. Borrowers may also place requests on up to 100 items including OhioLINK or SearchOhio items.
Exceptions may be authorized by the Head of Information Delivery Services.
- Circulating books may be borrowed for 112 days, or one semester unless recalled for course reserves
- Media materials are due in 14 days.
- Faculty loan period is 42 days
- Student loan period is 21 days
- SearchOhio media (not DVDs) are due in 21 days.
- OhioLINK media and SearchOhio DVDs are due in 7 days.
- Reserves, Local Hospital Library and ERC (Education Resource Center) loan periods may vary.
- Wright State Dunbar Library and Lake Campus Books:
- Due to the semester-length loan period, Undergraduate students may not renew circulating books.
- Graduate students may renew circulating books 2 times.
- Faculty, residents, staff and retirees may renew books up to 3 times.
- Books which have been requested by other users may not be renewed.
- When the renewal limit has been reached, books must be returned to the library to be discharged. The current number of renewals used may be viewed by logging into My Account. Exceptions may be authorized by the Head of Information Delivery Services.
- Local Hospital Library and ERC (Education Resource Center) renewals may vary.
- OhioLINK books may be renewed up to 6 times and media up to 3 times, if not needed at the owning institution.
- SearchOhio books and media may be renewed up to 3 times if not needed at the owning library.
- Most circulating media materials may be renewed one time if not needed by another user.
- Reserve materials may not be renewed. Users must wait 15 minutes after return before re-borrowing a reserve item to offer other students an opportunity to use it.
Books may be returned to the University Libraries, Lake Campus Library, the Education Resource Center or any affiliated hospital library location. Although an outside book drop is available at the Dunbar Library, non-book materials should be returned at the circulation desk. You may request a receipt when paying a fine.
Log into My Account to check material due dates and overdue fines.
WSU Dunbar and Lake Campus Library Books and Audio Visuals
- Student Fines are $.50/day beginning on the first day overdue
- Faculty and Staff fines are $.50/day beginning on the 22nd day overdue
- Fines and fees for all patron types are replaced by a non-refundable billing fee of $50.00 on the 50th day overdue
- 31 minutes overdue: $.50
- Additional $.50/hour, no maximum
OhioLINK - Books
- Day 1-6 overdue: no fine
- Day 8-30 overdue: $3.50 + $.50/day
- additional $35.00 processing fee for invoicing
OhioLINK - Media
- $.50/day beginning on the first day overdue
- Day 30 $15 accumulated fines + $35 processing fee for invoicing
SearchOhio - Books and Media
- $.50/day for 50 days
- Day 30 $25 accumulated fines + $25 processing fee for invoicing
Most notices are sent by email. The address of your WSU campus email account is automatically used. If you prefer to receive mail at another address, you can forward your mail from your campus e-mail account. Contact Computing and Telecommunications Services at 937.775.4827 for directions. For details, see the text of overdue notices.
Billed, Lost or Damaged Materials
WSU Dunbar and Lake Campus Library: The minimum replacement fee for any lost or damaged book, periodical, or media item is 1) $75.00 plus a $25.00 processing fee plus fines or 2) a billing fee, if applicable.
- Processing fees are automatically added when an item is billed and are automatically removed if the book is returned in good condition.
- Fines are automatically converted to a $50.00 billing fee when an item is 50 days overdue and reduced to $25.00 if the item is returned in good condition. This fee is not refundable.
- Actual replacement costs will apply if the cost of the item is above $75.00.
OhioLINK replacement fees are $75.00 plus a $35.00 non-refundable processing fee plus fines, if any.
SearchOhio replacement fees are 25.00 plus a $25 non-refundable processing fee.
If the original item is returned after the replacement costs and processing fees have been paid, the borrower may receive some reduction of these charges. The Head of Information Delivery Services determines whether a refund can be issued and the amount.
If a damaged item is repairable, the library will determine the cost of repair and bill accordingly.