It’s a popular day for releasing survey results it seems. Earlier we got Aptara’s results from a publisher survey on eBooks and now HighWire has released a survey on eBooks based on librarian input. The result are in the full report.
According to HighWire, the report espouses some familiar and consistent themes:
- Simplicity and ease of use seem more important than sophisticated end-user features.
- Users tend to discover ebooks through both the library catalog and search engines.
- While users prefer PDFs, format preference will likely change as technology changes.
- DRM seems to hinder ebook use for library patrons; ability to print is essential.
- The most popular business model for librarians is purchase with perpetual access.