Chicago, August 8, 2012—University of Chicago Press is pleased to announce it will partner with Oxford University Press (OUP) to launch Chicago Scholarship Online on OUP’s University Press Scholarship Online (UPSO) platform to take advantage of a fully enabled XML environment with cutting-edge search and discovery functionality*.
“The University of Chicago Press is excited to be working with OUP to bring our titles to scholars and researchers through the UPSO platform,” said Garrett Kiely, Director, University of Chicago Press. “We have been impressed with the professionalism and cooperative approach of the team at OUP. As the UPSO platform continues to evolve to satisfy the needs of the global academic community, we are confident that this partnership will support our core mission to make the work of our authors as widely available as possible.”
Responding to increased demand for online scholarly content, UPSO streamlines the research journey by making disparately published monographs easily accessible, highly discoverable, and fully cross-searchable via one online platform. Research that previously would have required users to jump between a variety of resources and disconnected websites can now be concentrated through a single search engine.
UPSO offers an individually-branded home for monographs from each participating university press just as it has done for Oxford Scholarship Online while allowing highly intuitive tools to deep search across all the content in the program. As such, UPSO will be the premier online research tool—for scholars, teachers, graduate and undergraduate students—and an essential resource for all academic libraries.
The benefits of UPSO for academics, libraries, and partner presses include:
- The highest quality scholarly content across 24 subject areas
- A vast and growing number of titles (10,000+ to date) with abstracts and keywords at both the book and chapter level for each title
- XML-formatted content, which provides deep tagging and better search results.
- The ability to download content on the fly to PDF
- A fully cross-referenced and cross-searchable platform, with clickable citations from bibliographies and footnotes, including OpenURL and DOI-linking support
- Streamlined research through a single online platform
- Easy integration into library systems and updated frequently with new content
- Full customer support services as well as flexibility and choice in purchasing models
- Optimized functionality for mobile devices
- Increased discoverability and usage of university press scholarly materials*
“The animating impulse behind University Press Scholarship Online is to create a friendly pathway to high-quality content for scholars and students, and to provide a publisher-centric service to our fellow presses,” says Niko Pfund, President, Oxford University Press USA. “Today we are thrilled to welcome the University of Chicago Press—by any reckoning one of the very finest publishers in the land—to UPSO. Chicago’s partnership with UPSO will benefit researchers across a wide variety of disciplines and marks a significant step in the migration of academic books online.”
* Visits from mobile and tablet devices (iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, and Android) have dramatically increased over the last year. iPad is consistently the most popular device used. For instance, UPSO experienced nearly a 5,000% YOY increase in visits from iPad users from March 2011-March 2012, following a relaunch in September 2011.