From an OUP press release, October 8, 2012
STANFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS IS NEWEST PARTNER TO MAKE SCHOLARLY MONOGRAPH CONTENT AVAILABLE VIA THE UPSO PLATFORM FROM OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS
Stanford, October 8, 2012—Stanford University Press is pleased to announce it will partner with Oxford University Press (OUP) to launch Stanford Scholarship Online on OUP’s University Press Scholarship Online (UPSO) platform to take advantage of a fully enabled XML environment with cutting-edge search and discovery functionality*.
“I am delighted that Stanford University Press is partnering with Oxford University Press to host our titles on the UPSO platform. We have spent much of the past two years considering options for collection-based sales platforms and it became clear that the team at OUP were offering us the perfect fit,” said Alan Harvey, Director, Stanford University Press. “ I’ve been impressed by simplicity and strength of the platform, as well as the flexibility it offers us as the use of ebook collections grows, and am certain that this will help to make our list available to the broadest possible audience.”
Responding to increased demand for online scholarly content, UPSO streamlines the research journey by making disparately published monographs easily accessible, highly discoverable, and fully cross-searchable via one online platform. Research that previously would have required users to jump between a variety of resources and disconnected websites can now be concentrated through a single search engine.
UPSO offers an individually-branded home for monographs from each participating university press just as it has done for Oxford Scholarship Online while allowing highly intuitive tools to deep search across all the content in the program. As such, UPSO will be the premier online research tool—for scholars, teachers, graduate and undergraduate students—and an essential resource for all academic libraries.
The benefits of UPSO for academics, libraries, and partner presses include:
- The highest quality scholarly content across 24 subject areas
- A vast and growing number of titles (10,000+ to date) with abstracts and keywords at both the book and chapter level for each title
- XML-formatted content, which provides deep tagging and better search results.
- The ability to download content on the fly to PDF
- A fully cross-referenced and cross-searchable platform, with clickable citations from bibliographies and footnotes, including OpenURL and DOI-linking support
- Streamlined research through a single online platform
- Easy integration into library systems and updated frequently with new content
- Full customer support services as well as flexibility and choice in purchasing models
- Optimized functionality for mobile devices
- Increased discoverability and usage of university press scholarly materials*
“Both Stanford University and Stanford University Press have a well-earned reputation for innovation and the ambitious development of new business and publishing models. It is therefore with particular pleasure that we welcome Stanford and its fine list to the UPSO partnership,” stated Niko Pfund, President, Oxford University Press USA.
* Visits from mobile and tablet devices (iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, and Android) have dramatically increased over the last year. iPad is consistently the most popular device used. For instance, UPSO experienced nearly a 5,000% YOY increase in visits from iPad users from March 2011-March 2012, following a relaunch in September 2011.
For more information about UPSO, partner presses, the platforms functionality and discoverability features, please contact:
Purdy Mary Kate Maco
Director of Publicity Publicity Manager
Oxford University Press USA Stanford University Press
212.726.6032 / firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Founded in 1925, Stanford University Press is one of the nation’s leading publishers of academic books in the humanities and the social sciences. Under the umbrella of Stanford University Libraries, the Press shares the University’s commitment to the creation and dissemination of knowledge by publishing scholarly works that stimulate lively debate at the frontier of scholarship. We serve the scholarly community, and the world at large, as a valuable source of pioneering inquiry and innovative theories that both extend and challenge prevailing views in the academy and society.
Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford. It furthers the University’s objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide. OUP is the world’s largest university press with the widest global presence. It currently publishes more than 6,000 new publications a year, has offices in around fifty countries, and employs more than 5,500 people worldwide. It has become familiar to millions through a diverse publishing program that includes scholarly works in all academic disciplines, bibles, music, textbooks, business books, dictionaries and reference works, and academic journals.