ANN ARBOR, Mich., January 30, 2015 — ProQuest unveiled the name of its eagerly anticipated new ebook platform: ProQuest Ebook Central™. Launching in mid-2015, ProQuest Ebook Central will integrate key elements from both ebrary and EBL – Ebook Library, along with all-new functionality, delivering a next-generation experience for researchers and librarians around the globe.
“We selected a simple name that captures the essence of what this platform will be: the ‘go-to’ source for ebooks for both researchers and librarians,” said Kari Paulson, vice president, market development, ProQuest. “ProQuest Ebook Central will have the widest selection of quality content and the most acquisition options in an intuitive, user-friendly platform that simplifies the workflow for both librarians and patrons. It will be the complete solution that our customers and their users want.” Continue reading Introducing ProQuest Ebook Central, a new integrated ebook platform
NASHVILLE, TN – Ingram Library Services Inc., an Ingram Content Group Inc. company, expands the services it provides libraries with the addition of timely analytics and data powered by Above the Treeline’s Edelweiss Analytics, a web-based, interactive collection analysis tool. It gives libraries access to the most accurate and up-to-date information available on library circulation, retail sales data, title data and much more. Continue reading Ingram offers new Edelweiss Analytics tool
New collections, 50 new publishers, and distribution partnerships with EBSCO, YBP, and Biblioboard are among the company’s major milestones
Miami, FL – January 28, 2015 - e-Libro, a central solution for essential Spanish Language ebooks, today announced its major growth and achievements in 2014. The company has launched 5 new Spanish Language ebook collections tailored to the specific needs of U.S. research libraries in subjects including Political Science, History, and Literature. E-libro also created new subscription collections for Public Libraries and Community Colleges. These new collections — along with more than 70,000 quality titles that can be purchased outright or through patron driven acquisition — are now available on the EBSCO and ProQuest ebrary platforms and can be purchased on either platform through YBP. As well as these major academic platforms, e-Libro collections are available on the innovative new Biblioboard platform.
Continue reading Leading Spanish Language ebook Provider e-Libro Shows Significant Traction in 2014
BiblioBoard continues growing
Dark Horse Comics and best-selling Indie Rock Stars among new high demand content added to PatronsFirst™ platform
In advance of the 2015 ALA Midwinter Meeting, BiblioBoard announces more publishers added to their PatronsFirst™ mobile platform. BiblioBoard now offers over 100,000 eBooks, millions of pages of curated historical archives and a growing library of images, audio and video. Patrons enjoy multi-user access to all content on the award-winning native apps for personal devices and the web without frustrating turnaways or waitlists. Continue reading BiblioBoard adds new publisher content to PatronsFirst
Interesting product. If I were to customize content, I would want to customize a children’s book to use a child’s name in the story or customize a travel book for a trip I might be taking.
NASHVILLE, TN – Publishers’ ability to customize content and give readers exactly what they want just got easier with Ingram Construct, a comprehensive, custom publishing solution for print-on-demand and e-books from Ingram Content Group Inc. Ingram Construct gives publishers a simple way to tailor their books to end users’ needs using existing titles, going from creation to production to distribution in minutes.
“We want to help publishers better connect with customers, and Ingram Construct gives them an easy way to customize any title to best meet customers’ needs,” said Brian Hogue, Vice President of Content Systems, Ingram Content Group. “With Ingram Construct, a publisher can use existing content to create customized print or digital books within minutes. It’s another way Ingram is using our technology and infrastructure to help our clients grow their business and find new streams of revenue. Continue reading Ingram Construct makes customizing books easier
Miami, FL – January 9, 2015 – ODILO announces the launch of OdiloPlace, their digital content marketplace featuring titles from publishers such as ABDO, Atlantic Publishing, Book View Café, Diversion Books, Encyclopedia Britannica, Enslow Publishers, HarperCollins Publishers, Little Pickle Press, Macmillan, Open Road Media, Prologue, Simon & Schuster, Rowman & Littlefield, Untreed Reads Publishing, Xist Publishing, and many others. Additional titles from other big, mid, and small publishers are expected soon. ODILO products and services allow libraries to better manage digital content, integrate a mix of content sources, and distribute high-quality content to patrons in mere seconds. Unlike other expensive content management systems, ODILO offers flexible and affordable pricing, along with bestselling books in a variety of languages. Continue reading OdiloPlace debuts in the U.S. with 60,000 titles
CLEVELAND—January 8, 2015—Capitalizing on the latest advances in eBook technology and popular catalog availability, public libraries saw digital checkouts rise again to record levels in 2014. OverDrive (www.overdrive.com), the leading eBook and audiobook platform for libraries and schools, announced today that circulation of eBooks, audiobooks and other digital media increased 33% in 2014 to 137 million checkouts, while web traffic and discoverability similarly increased, especially on mobile devices.
Continue reading Library eBook use up 33% in 2014 through OverDrive
From the OverDrive blog:
We’re excited to announce that 2014’s “1 Million Checkout Club” includes 10 public library systems, surpassing the six lirbaries that accomplished this feat in 2013! Checkouts include all borrowed digital items including eBooks, audiobooks, music, streaming video and periodicals from the library’s OverDrive-powered collection and each of the libraries experienced significant year-over-year growth from 2013.
The following libraries have joined the 2014 Million Digital Checkouts Club:
2 Million or more digital checkouts
Continue reading OverDrive announces 10 public library systems in the “1 Million Checkout Club”
Below is an excerpt from the Smashwords blog highlighting service milestones for the year 2014. The full article has some background and 2015 plans as well.
Among our service milestones for the year:
- New distribution channels – We added new distribution partners including OverDrive, the world’s largest ebook supplier serving over 20,000 public libraries, and Txtr, a European retailer. New partners Oyster and Scribd were brought fully online.
- Faster distributions – Working in close partnership with all our retail partners, Smashwords dramatically increased the speed and reliability of our distribution systems in 2014. We’re now shipping multiple times daily to most of our retailers, and near-real time to iBooks, where, for example, and it’s not uncommon for authors to upload a book to Smashwords and see it appear at iBooks the same day. Faster distributions of new titles and metadata updates give our authors more control over their publishing.
- Faster sales reporting – We improved the speed of sales reporting. In May, we introduced our Daily Sales tool which provides next-day and same-day sales reporting from iBooks, Barnes & Noble, OverDrive and Kobo.
- Added EPUB 3 support – Smashwords now accepts EPUB3 files as part of our Smashwords Direct feature. EPUB3 gives authors and publishers greater language support and text layout options, including right to left reading and vertical reading.
- We helped more authors realize their full potential – Smashwords authors bring us their talent, and we give them tools to help realize the full potential of their talent. Multiple Smashwords authors hit retailer bestseller lists in 2015 as well as national lists such as New York Times and USA Today, aided in part by the power of Smashwords preorders to iBooks, Barnes & Noble and Kobo, and also supported by enhanced metadata tools such as Smashwords Series Manager which improves series discoverability at retailers.
- Diversification pays off – Our broad distribution network helped authors and publishers diversify their exposure to an industry-wide slowdown in ebook retailing. Strong merchandising support for Smashwords authors by our wonderful colleagues at iBooks combined with sales growth from new distribution partners FlipKart, OverDrive; Oyster and Scribd helped many Smashwords authors and publishers have a great year.
- Diversification pays off again – Authors who fully distributed their titles with Smashwords were partially insulated from the dramatic sales drops many Amazon authors reported following the introduction of Kindle Unlimited. If you know indie authors who only upload to Amazon, invite them to diversify their distribution with Smashwords.
Continue reading Smashwords 2014 Year in Review
CAMBRIDGE, UK, January 5, 2015 – ProQuest® ebooks company ebrary® has created a brand new version of their award winning Academic Complete™ subscription collection designed specifically for UK and Irish students, faculty and researchers with over 4,000 unique, region specific titles.
Recognizing the importance of providing key content to this region, this new edition of Academic Complete delivers more than 115,000 titles, and is the first locally-tailored content edition which goes beyond territorial rights adjustments. Providing simultaneous, multi-user access the UKI edition contains over 4,000 specially selected titles which are only available to this region and consist of the most relevant publishers and topics. This local version will only be available in the UK and Ireland with the same overall number of titles as the standard Academic Complete. Continue reading ProQuest launches new UKI edition of Academic Complete