Below is an excerpt from the Smashwords blog highlighting service milestones for the year 2014. The full article has some background and 2015 plans as well.
Among our service milestones for the year:
- New distribution channels – We added new distribution partners including OverDrive, the world’s largest ebook supplier serving over 20,000 public libraries, and Txtr, a European retailer. New partners Oyster and Scribd were brought fully online.
- Faster distributions – Working in close partnership with all our retail partners, Smashwords dramatically increased the speed and reliability of our distribution systems in 2014. We’re now shipping multiple times daily to most of our retailers, and near-real time to iBooks, where, for example, and it’s not uncommon for authors to upload a book to Smashwords and see it appear at iBooks the same day. Faster distributions of new titles and metadata updates give our authors more control over their publishing.
- Faster sales reporting – We improved the speed of sales reporting. In May, we introduced our Daily Sales tool which provides next-day and same-day sales reporting from iBooks, Barnes & Noble, OverDrive and Kobo.
- Added EPUB 3 support – Smashwords now accepts EPUB3 files as part of our Smashwords Direct feature. EPUB3 gives authors and publishers greater language support and text layout options, including right to left reading and vertical reading.
- We helped more authors realize their full potential – Smashwords authors bring us their talent, and we give them tools to help realize the full potential of their talent. Multiple Smashwords authors hit retailer bestseller lists in 2015 as well as national lists such as New York Times and USA Today, aided in part by the power of Smashwords preorders to iBooks, Barnes & Noble and Kobo, and also supported by enhanced metadata tools such as Smashwords Series Manager which improves series discoverability at retailers.
- Diversification pays off – Our broad distribution network helped authors and publishers diversify their exposure to an industry-wide slowdown in ebook retailing. Strong merchandising support for Smashwords authors by our wonderful colleagues at iBooks combined with sales growth from new distribution partners FlipKart, OverDrive; Oyster and Scribd helped many Smashwords authors and publishers have a great year.
- Diversification pays off again – Authors who fully distributed their titles with Smashwords were partially insulated from the dramatic sales drops many Amazon authors reported following the introduction of Kindle Unlimited. If you know indie authors who only upload to Amazon, invite them to diversify their distribution with Smashwords.
Continue reading Smashwords 2014 Year in Review
CAMBRIDGE, UK, January 5, 2015 – ProQuest® ebooks company ebrary® has created a brand new version of their award winning Academic Complete™ subscription collection designed specifically for UK and Irish students, faculty and researchers with over 4,000 unique, region specific titles.
Recognizing the importance of providing key content to this region, this new edition of Academic Complete delivers more than 115,000 titles, and is the first locally-tailored content edition which goes beyond territorial rights adjustments. Providing simultaneous, multi-user access the UKI edition contains over 4,000 specially selected titles which are only available to this region and consist of the most relevant publishers and topics. This local version will only be available in the UK and Ireland with the same overall number of titles as the standard Academic Complete. Continue reading ProQuest launches new UKI edition of Academic Complete
BiblioBoard has expanded their already comprehensive LGBTQ+ offering to include more positive content for young readers from Dreamspinner’s Young Adult imprint, Harmony Ink Press. Harmony Ink’s update includes 50 new titles, all published in 2014. The books range from thrillers with werewolves and traveling carnivals to more traditional romance and coming-out stories. Continue reading BiblioBoard® Expands Harmony Ink Press Collection to Include More Positive Young Adult LGBTQ+ Titles for Libraries
MCHENRY, Ill., Dec. 3, 2014 –Follett this week introduced Destiny Resource Manager, a new, universal system that enables K-12 districts to track and manage all school assets. Destiny Resource Manager represents an evolution from Follett Destiny Asset Manager as it will monitor barcoded textbooks in addition to traditional assets such as laptops, tablets and equipment. Continue reading Follett’s new Destiny Resource Manager will manage textbooks, equipment, and more
IPSWICH, Mass. — December 2, 2014 — EBSCO information Services and EasyBib have made it possible to directly export citations from EBSCO resources to EasyBib. The integration creates an effortless way for students and researchers to ethically use their resources. Continue reading EasyBib Integrates with EBSCO Resources
Farmington Hills, Mich., November 17, 2014 — Recognizing the benefit of data analysis for the digital humanities field, Gale, part of Cengage Learning, will make available content from its Gale Digital Collections to academic researchers for data mining and textual analysis purposes. Data mining and textual analysis – the process by which text or datasets are crawled by software that recognizes entities, relationships and action – helps researchers draw new conclusions among disparate data and is emerging as an important area of scholarly research. Continue reading Gale offers content for data mining and textual analysis
IPSWICH, Mass. — November 19, 2014 — EBSCO Information Services (EBSCO) has released eBook Education Collection™ a new subscription e-book collection. eBook Education Collection features more than 2,800 quality titles supporting students and faculty in education studies. Continue reading EBSCO releases eBook Education Collection
November 13, 2014 – Mountain View, CA – Libraries around the world can now acquire the essential Psychology and Behavioral and Social Sciences titles researchers need under flexible models that meet their budget requirements.
The American Psychological Association (APA), the largest scientific and professional organization representing psychology in the United States and the world’s largest association of psychologists, has joined forces with ProQuest ebook business ebrary to make more than 250 titles published since 2009 available electronically Continue reading APA ebooks available for individual purchase on ebrary
Odilo is delighted to announce that OdiloConsortia, the Odilo eBook Platform for eBook purchasing, management and lending, will power the State Library of New South Wales eBook Management Platform Pilot project.
The State Library of New South Wales, Australia is embarking on a 12 month trial of the DCL eBook model using Odilotid’s OdiloConsortia™ solution. Through this project, the State Library will be partnering with two public library services and intends to explore the full gamut of content options from local authors, independent and mid-lists publishers in Australia. The pilot will explore the options of consortia shared collections alongside localized collections and the viability of extending the platform to a statewide solution. Odilo’s content and strategic publisher relations managers will be working closely with the pilot libraries to assist them secure contracts with publishers. Continue reading OdiloConsortia to power the eBook pilot project for the State Library of New South Wales in Australia
October 15, 2014 Aldie, VA- ParatextTM announces that an extensive collection of Data-PlanetTM DataSheets is now indexed, linked, and integrated into Public Documents MasterfileTM. Researchers can now query over 150,000 metadata records representing authoritative publicly and privately sourced datasets.
Libraries who subscribe to both services will link directly from the search results in Public Documents Masterfileto Data-Planet’s DataSheets, which provide a cleanly formatted visual representation of the data, links to the underlying data, and contextual descriptions of the data source, indicator, and dataset from which the indicator derive. Public Documents Masterfile users not subscribed to Data-Planet will link directly to the DataSheet statistical abstract and citation. Continue reading Paratext completes integration of Data-Planet Datasheets