Digital Book World sponsored a webinar today, “Digital Content: Where are publishers investing and what challenges will they need to overcome?
- Speaker: Marc Rubner, VP of Product Marketing at Innodata Consulting; mrubner at innodata dot com
- Marc presented the results of an Innodata Survey conducted by Digital Book World in April of 2012.
What stuck with me the most was the phrase, “content will now be wrapped in software.” The overall tone of the webinar suggested that content will continue to be developed for direct to consumer consumption, in small packages, designed for mobile devices. A couple of additional comments Marc made were that publishers need to repurpose content, repurpose technology, and take control of customer facing technologies. He felt two big hurdles publishers need to cross with rights management were in global rights management and with libraries and the lending of eBooks. The following are my notes from the webinar.
The Online survey tool details –
- 366 media execs, sample from DBW subscriber list, conducted April, 2012
- 31% from adult trade (rest mix of other segments – children’s trade, academic, K-12 education, STM)
- 54% from smallish organizations
- 37% larger organizations
- good mix of executives (29%) and managers/directors (47%) Continue reading