This CIL session was presented by Chad Mairn, Information Services Librarian at St. Petersberg College and Al Carlson, System Administrator for the Tampa Bay Library Consortium.
- Library automation, the internet, and EPUB are the three big things he feels have hit the library industry during his career.
- The book is the content and not the package, ebook is just another package.
- Diagnosing the DVD Disappointment: A Life Cycle View by Judson Coplan – this article from 2006 is one that Al recommends to read as a comparison to how quickly ebooks may be adopted.
- History suggests that ebooks will rapidly invade the codex space
- Books aren’t dead, they are just changing Continue reading
Reposting this open letter from an LJ article, thanks to @mlharper for the tweet.
An Open Letter to E-Book Creators and Sellers from Library Customers
Libraries and their customers have a long and mutually beneficial relationship with authors, publishers, and vendors, based on the printed word – books. Now, with the emergence of popular e-books and e-book readers, libraries are positioned to continue that partnership with these exciting new products.
Libraries have much to offer e-book sellers as you work to establish a new successful business model around the e-book format. At the same time libraries need e-book providers to offer e-pub materials in ways that enable and support use by libraries and library users. Here is the deal. Continue reading