Building Use Policy
The following guidelines govern the general use of public areas and rooms in the Paul Laurence Dunbar Library. The University Librarian or his/her appropriate designee may authorize exceptions to these guidelines:
- Public areas in the Dunbar Library are available for use by all library users, including students, faculty, staff, and members of the general public.
- The primary use of all public areas is for quiet individual study except for public service points and areas designated as "group study."
- Cell phone ringers must be turned off. Cell phones may be used only in areas designated as "Cell Phone Zones."
- Acceptable use of food and drink in the Dunbar Library is defined by the Food and Drink Policy.
- The use of tobacco and tobacco-related products is not permitted in the University Libraries. Additional information is available at Wright Way Smoking Policy and WSU Student Handbook - Electronic Cigarettes.
- Animals, except those trained to assist persons with disabilities, are not permitted in the Library.
- Arrangements for visiting groups and special activities should be made in advance with the University Librarian or his/her appropriate designee.
- Rooms are not available for meetings (scheduled or unscheduled) unless otherwise specified in these guidelines or approved by the University Librarian or designee.
- The use of personal transportation devices such as bicycles, skateboards, hoverboards, rollerblades and rollerskates, is not permitted.
In addition to these general guidelines, the following rules apply to specific locations in the Library:
- Group Study Room & Starbucks (Room 105): This group study room is available for unscheduled student group study. Study groups should be limited to ten individuals or less. Upon approval by the University Librarian, this room may be scheduled for occasions of significance to the Libraries or the University.
- Reference Area Computers & Media Room(2nd floor): Computers in these areas are available on a first-come, first-served basis. They may occasionally be reserved for instructional purposes by the Reference and Instruction staff.
- Library Lab (Room 241/242): This lab is used for library instruction. When not in use for instruction, it provides additional computers for students working the Reference Area.
- Presentation Practice Room (Room 216): This room provides space and equipment for small groups of students to rehearse classroom presentations. It may be reserved for two-hour periods during the Dunbar Library's regular hours.
- STAC (Student Technology and Assistance Center, Room 240): This room is available only to Wright State University Students seeking individualized support and instruction on a variety of computer programs.
- Special Collections and Archives (Wright Brothers Reading Room, Room 402): This room is available for research using materials housed in the Libraries' special collections. A staff member must be present whenever the room is in use.