Civil Rights Movement

February 16, 2012
By

The African-American Civil Rights Movement (1955-1968) refers to the movement aimed at outlawing racial discrimination and restoring voting rights to African-Americans. The movement was characterized by major campaigns of civil resistance. Between 1955 and 1968, acts of nonviolent protests produced crisis situations between activists and government authorities. Federal, state, and local governments, businesses, and communities often had to respond immediately to these situations that highlighted the inequities faced by African Americans. Forms of protest included boycotts, “sit-ins,” marches, and a wide range of other nonviolent activities. The Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) was an active participant in protests in Dayton, Ohio. The Dayton CORE was led by W.S. McIntosh.

Achievements during this phase of the Civil Rights Movement were The Civil Rights Act of 1964, that banned discrimination based on “race, color, religion, or national origin” in employment practices and public accommodations; the Voting Rights Act of 1965, that restored and protected voting rights; and the Fair Housing Act of 1968, that banned discrimination in the sale or rental of housing. This movement inspired present and future generations to take action for their civil rights.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to Civil Rights Movement

1. Anthony Middleton on November 3, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Dayton Daily News Article: http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/ddn_archive/2012/02/16/civil-rights-movement/
    I saw some picture that are used as a slide show.
    I would like permission to use some for a power point presentation I am doing early for Black History Month 2014 from the theme on ASHLA.org 2014 The Golden Jubilee of the Civil Rights Act

• Bill on November 15, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Oh please do. We have more photos if you need any others.

2. Catherine Beckworth on June 22, 2013 at 12:36 am

I am in charge of Black History for my church. I always start planning early. Each year I build the actiities around the theme. However, looking at the 2014 theme I am at a lost for ideas. Are there any suggestions? Thanks.

3. Chris Holubowicz on January 15, 2014 at 11:52 am

Hi,

The Public Libraries of Saginaw prepares booklists for the community during Black History Month. We would like permission to use these photos on our booklist. Please let me know.

Thanks.
    Chris

4. Angela L Davis on January 20, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I am in charge of our Black History program at our church. I would like to focus on this year theme for 2014. Would you be able to send me some pictures so I could put together a slideshow presentation? Do you have suggestions for music? I think that would be great. What do you think?

5. dawn Tyus on June 29, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I have come across a print of W S McIntosh leading a civil rights protest in Dayton Oh in 1961. Any ideas as to where I might get a copy of it?

• Lisa on July 1, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Thank you for contacting us — we will email you to clarify. Thanks!