B-52 Crash

December 11, 2012

B-52 from the Strategic Air Command that crashed on May 30, 1974

This is a B-52 from the Strategic Air Command that crashed on May 30, 1974. All seven crew members survived the crash without serious injury. The crewman were: Capt. Charles Brown (age 29), Capt. Robert E. Smith (29), 1st. Lt. John D. Weaver Jr. (26), Capt. William G. Heckathorn (28), 2nd Lt. Robert E. Pace (24), Capt. Paul C. Hoffman (26), and 1st Lt. James R. Villines (28).

30 Responses to B-52 Crash

  1. Bob Beavers on December 30, 2012 at 3:49 am

    I have photos of this same crash in my book, “Legacy: Genesis of Aviation Greatness.” I have detailed the crash and the almost unimaginable result of this crash. The front page that day of the Dayton Daily News ran it, and I have the whole story there in my book. It’s on Amazon.com with five five-star reviews.

    • Lisa on January 8, 2013 at 3:18 pm

      Thank you for your comment and for the information!

  2. D. Glover on January 4, 2013 at 2:27 pm

    Do you know if there is more information regarding this picture, or where I can research additional information regarding this picture?
    Was this crash at Wright-Patterson?

    The caption from your archive identifies the aircraft as a B-52, and that all seven crew members survived, and the date as May 30th, 1974.
    Is the date identified, the date of the crash?

    Thank you for your assistance.

    D. Glover

    • Lisa on January 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

      Thank you for your comment and question. Yes, the B-52 crashed at 2:07 a.m. on May 30, 1974, at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. I’ve sent you some articles about the crash by email.

      • Bruce Bratschi on November 6, 2015 at 11:36 am

        I flew into Wright Patterson the day after that crash in a KC135. Story at the time was an Elevator malfunction and the pilot thought he could get it down with trim tabs only. They hit so hard the nose broke off and everyone survived in that section of the aircraft. The rest of the plane after the tremendous bounce was airborne and went past the nose section before hitting again, exploding and burning. From Bruce B. Brcbrat@yahoo.com. I’ve got some video I think.

  3. Bob Seale on June 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm

    Is this the crash involving my friend Col. Charles Brown, USAF Ret.? I was a nav.,at Ellsworth and flew 70 missions over Vietnam

    • Lisa on June 26, 2013 at 10:39 am

      Thank you for your comment and question. Yes, your friend Col. Charles Brown (then a Captain) was among them. The seven crewman who “miraculously escaped death or serious injury” in the crash were: Capt. Charles Brown (age 29), Capt. Robert E. Smith (29), 1st. Lt. John D. Weaver Jr. (26), Capt. William G. Heckathorn (28), 2nd Lt. Robert E. Pace (24), Capt. Paul C. Hoffman (26), and 1st Lt. James R. Villines (28). I have sent you some articles about the crash by email.

  4. Mike Gould, Col USAF, Ret on August 19, 2013 at 10:57 pm

    Any idea of the where-abouts of Col Brown. He and I were AF brats together in England circa 1958-61. Our fathers were in the same squadron flying B-66s. Charlie & I linked up once while he was stationed at Wright-Patt (before his accident.) Would certainly like to reestablish contact. Would appreciate any info… Many thnx.

    • Lisa on August 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

      Hi, Mike- Unfortunately, we do not have any information about the current whereabouts of Col. Charles B. Brown, USAF Ret. However, I did find a reference to a book called “Legacy: Genesis of Aviation Greatness” by R. G. Beavers (http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewwork.asp?id=33359) that apparently describes this 1974 crash and was endorsed as accurate by Col. Brown himself. Perhaps the author Mr. Beavers may know how to contact Brown. Good luck!

  5. Dave McPeek on October 14, 2013 at 7:17 pm

    Whoa! Interesting that, clearly visible in the strewn wreckage, are the remains of two Hound Dog missiles.
    Those were operationally equipped with a nuclear warhead, although I suppose the two in this incident could have been carrying inert “dummy” payloads.
    Or, maybe they were hot– but I don’t ever remember hearing of this as a nuclear incident, and I was a nuclear weapons officer in SAC.
    Very, very interesting…

    • Lisa on October 15, 2013 at 9:12 am

      That is an interesting observation, Dave. I never would have noticed that. Thanks for visiting and for your comments!

  6. Vernon Pierce on October 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm

    I was the GCA Radar Repairman on duty the night of this crash. The bailout alarm sounded in the radar shack and I picked up the hotline to the rapcon and ask if I really needed to leave. The answer was yes there was a full load of fuel on board. I went to the rapcon and stood behind the controller and watched him bring the plane in. I remember he said he’s down as we watched the blip line up with the touch down relfectors. Then a voice broke over the speaker above his position saying he had crashed.
    We ran downstairs and the field was on fire. It was the biggest fire I have ever seen. The control tower was closed due to renovation so they were in a portable unit on the other side of the taxiway. We wondered if they would make it through the fire. After the fire I went to the radar unit (which I believe is now at the AF Museum) and was met by an MP with an M16 who told me I couldn’t come in. I called my NCOIC and told him what had happened and asked what I should do, I was a young Sgt. He asked if I had done all my preventive maintenance that night and I told him I had he asked if I logged everything, again I told him I had. I asked why and he told me there would be an investigation and I had better have done my job. He asked about the crew and I turned and asked the guys in the rapcon and they told me they were pursumed lost. I went home that night wondering if I had been responsible for their loss. The next morning I learned the base ops officer’s headlights had shown on the nose and all crew members had survived. I believe one suffered a broken back. That night changed my life I had been talking to the FAA about a job in Columbus when I got discharged. I decided I couldn’t go to bed thinking I might be responsible for hundreds of soles on a commercial flight. I called the FAA and told them I was no longer interested in a job.

    • Lisa on October 29, 2013 at 9:32 am

      Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of the crash with us — yet another example of how a single event can change the course of many lives.

  7. Jennifer on November 19, 2013 at 4:11 pm

    1st Lt. John D. Weaver, Jr. is my Uncle.

    • Lisa on November 20, 2013 at 8:47 am

      Thanks for sharing, Jennifer! And thanks for stopping by!

  8. Patrick Stewart on January 3, 2014 at 1:17 pm

    I was in the mobile tower the night of the crash. I had just got out of school for air traffic control at Biloxi,Mississippi and this was my first assignment. I had been out of school about a month, so I was sorta green you could say. We got the report that the B-52 had lost hydrolics in number 8 engine. This they said was driving a Cadillac with no power steering. I remember the plane making numerous low approaches so the crew could get a feel for of the plane. A B-52 comes in at an attack angle of somewhere around 10 degrees or so, and as it comes over runway the pilot “flairs” the nose to bring it horizontal to the runway. Well that’s what got them. All crew members were huddled in the nose of the plane. I don’t believe we were in charge at this time, but someone cleared the plane to land. The plane came in, did not flair, hit nose first on runway. When that happened, the nose broke off and rolled away from the rest of plane landing to left of runway. What was left of plane went airborne again, rolling and crashing. Big fire. Pieces of the plane was everywhere. We heard all aboard were ok, one with a back problem. The next morning I went to look a the wreck, and to my surprise, found that one of the engine pods had broke off, and was laying about 40 feet from the mobile tower. I glad they all made it, but have to say that was quite a night for a green horn controller.

    • Lisa on January 8, 2014 at 9:19 am

      Wow, that must have been quite a night for you, indeed! Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Patrick!

  9. Donald J Luke on August 21, 2014 at 1:44 am

    Patrick Stewart. I was at Wright Patterson that night. I was a SSgt and we had a B-52 mobile flight simulator parked on the base. We were based out of Castle AFB, CA. assigned to the 4017 CCTS (Combat Crew Training Squadron) The mobile flight simulators were cycled between bases every 30 days or so. I worked on aircraft for 5 years before cross-training to flight simulators so I liked to watch the aircraft land and take off. I noticed all the flashing lights and rotating beacons on all the vehicles and fire trucks out near the runway and had opened the exit door in the end of the railroad car we were in and stepped out on the threshold just as the B-52 came into my field of view off of my right side. I watched the aircraft come in and crash. I seem to remember that as the nose section broke off, the fuselage with wings and engines rose up and rolled to the right before impacting the ground and then the flames flared. I thought I saw a large part of the aircraft continue forward but, at the time didn’t realize it was the forward section . . . too much happening at once and the shock of seeing the aircraft crash . . . We were pretty close to our departure date and moving the mobile simulator to the next base in the sequence but were told we would be extended for an indefinite time while the used the simulator for investigating what happened. It was good to hear the crew had survived.

    • Lisa on August 21, 2014 at 9:50 am

      Wow! Thank you for sharing your recollections of that event!

  10. john r smith on September 21, 2014 at 11:01 am

    sgt john r smith. I was working recovery duty the night of the b52h crash.we were told the aircraft lost its sass system and that capt brown was told they could eject over lake Michigan, he felt he could bring the plane in safely.from the flightline I could see low fog over the runway and engines whinning as he was making his approach. as the landing lights broke thru the fog I could see trouble. the front landing gear hit hard the tires blew and in that flash of light I saw the nose break away and the rest of the craft go airborn.i fell that either the throttle cables were pulled during the break or he was trying a go around.at any rate the engines went full power the rest of the plane went into the air about 800ft.not much fire due to burning off fuel prior to landing. crew ok. 17th oms 2750th bw

    • Lisa on September 22, 2014 at 9:43 am

      Thank you so much for sharing your memories of the crash with us!

  11. Alan Leonhard on February 25, 2015 at 12:31 pm

    13 Oct 1970 I was flying on a B-52 from Kinchloe AFB Mi and we had a diversion due to weather and landed at Wright-Patterson AFB Oh we told at the time that was the first time a B-52 had landed there. crews names were Capt HUGH W NIXON Jr Capt CHARLES D GRAVER Capt JOHN W HARTMAN Capt MARC H WEISS Tsgt FRANK C WASBURN 1StLt RICHARD R GRAY A1C ALAN H LEONHARD Sgt GARY E WEBB we returned to Kinchloe the next day

    • Lisa on February 26, 2015 at 9:24 am

      Thanks for sharing your story with us, Alan!

  12. Joshua Donohue on October 19, 2015 at 8:38 pm

    I’m doing some research on this aircraft and was wondering how I could obtain any additional history on it (early service, photos, etc). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

    • Keith Bartsch on December 21, 2015 at 6:42 pm

      You ought to contact Col Charles “Charlie” Brown. Retired, living in Florida. I don’t feel comfortable giving his contact info here, but if you post your email address, I’ll send it to you. He and I stayed in touch after we retired from USAF.

      • Mike Gould on December 22, 2015 at 9:58 am

        I made the following post several years ago:
        “Mike Gould, Col USAF, Ret on August 19, 2013 at 10:57 pm
        Any idea of the where-abouts of Col Brown. He and I were AF brats together in England circa 1958-61. Our fathers were in the same squadron flying B-66s. Charlie & I linked up once while he was stationed at Wright-Patt (before his accident.) Would certainly like to reestablish contact. Would appreciate any info… Many thnx.”

        Would you be so kind as to either send me Charlie’s email or send him mine… I’d still like to reestablish contact. Thanks and Merry Christmas Mike Gould

        • Lisa on December 22, 2015 at 10:07 am

          Hi, Mike – I just wanted to let you know that your email address is only visible to the Archives staff when you enter it in the email field, so I’m not sure if Keith can see it. (He may receive an email notification if he subscribed to comments, but I’m not sure.) With your permission, I can send Keith an message containing your email address.

          • Mike Gould on December 22, 2015 at 10:14 am

            G’mornin’ Lisa. Many thanks for the kwik response. I would appreciate you sending Keith my email address — I’d rather do it that way than posting it publicly.
            Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you….. Mike

          • Lisa on December 22, 2015 at 10:25 am

            You’re welcome! I have sent you both an email message. Hope you all have a great holiday!

  13. Joe McPherson on March 14, 2016 at 7:00 am

    Joseph McPherson, I worked in AGE and did not get to work until 7 AM. I heard the crash at the barracks and was struck at the awe of the remains. The nose section and the tail section were somewhat in tack but the next largest piece did not appear to be over ten feet in size. It was amazing that anyone survived such a crash. The Lord was definitely with the crew.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Wright State University Libraries' Special Collections and Archives welcomes you to our Dayton Daily News Archive blog. We are excited to share selections from the DDN Archive with you!

For more information:
* Visit our website
* Email us
* Visit us on the fourth floor of Dunbar Library

facebook twitter

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Follow me on Twitter