B-52 Crash

December 11, 2012
By

This is a B-52 from the Strategic Air Command that crashed on May 30, 1974. All seven crew members survived the crash without serious injury. The crewman were: Capt. Charles Brown (age 29), Capt. Robert E. Smith (29), 1st. Lt. John D. Weaver Jr. (26), Capt. William G. Heckathorn (28), 2nd Lt. Robert E. Pace (24), Capt. Paul C. Hoffman (26), and 1st Lt. James R. Villines (28).

18 Responses to B-52 Crash

1. Bob Beavers on December 30, 2012 at 3:49 am

I have photos of this same crash in my book, “Legacy: Genesis of Aviation Greatness.” I have detailed the crash and the almost unimaginable result of this crash. The front page that day of the Dayton Daily News ran it, and I have the whole story there in my book. It’s on Amazon.com with five five-star reviews.

• Lisa on January 8, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Thank you for your comment and for the information!

2. D. Glover on January 4, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Do you know if there is more information regarding this picture, or where I can research additional information regarding this picture?
    Was this crash at Wright-Patterson?

The caption from your archive identifies the aircraft as a B-52, and that all seven crew members survived, and the date as May 30th, 1974.
    Is the date identified, the date of the crash?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
    D. Glover

• Lisa on January 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Thank you for your comment and question. Yes, the B-52 crashed at 2:07 a.m. on May 30, 1974, at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. I’ve sent you some articles about the crash by email.

3. Bob Seale on June 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Is this the crash involving my friend Col. Charles Brown, USAF Ret.? I was a nav.,at Ellsworth and flew 70 missions over Vietnam

• Lisa on June 26, 2013 at 10:39 am

Thank you for your comment and question. Yes, your friend Col. Charles Brown (then a Captain) was among them. The seven crewman who “miraculously escaped death or serious injury” in the crash were: Capt. Charles Brown (age 29), Capt. Robert E. Smith (29), 1st. Lt. John D. Weaver Jr. (26), Capt. William G. Heckathorn (28), 2nd Lt. Robert E. Pace (24), Capt. Paul C. Hoffman (26), and 1st Lt. James R. Villines (28). I have sent you some articles about the crash by email.

4. Mike Gould, Col USAF, Ret on August 19, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Any idea of the where-abouts of Col Brown. He and I were AF brats together in England circa 1958-61. Our fathers were in the same squadron flying B-66s. Charlie & I linked up once while he was stationed at Wright-Patt (before his accident.) Would certainly like to reestablish contact. Would appreciate any info… Many thnx.

• Lisa on August 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

Hi, Mike- Unfortunately, we do not have any information about the current whereabouts of Col. Charles B. Brown, USAF Ret. However, I did find a reference to a book called “Legacy: Genesis of Aviation Greatness” by R. G. Beavers (http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewwork.asp?id=33359) that apparently describes this 1974 crash and was endorsed as accurate by Col. Brown himself. Perhaps the author Mr. Beavers may know how to contact Brown. Good luck!

5. Dave McPeek on October 14, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Whoa! Interesting that, clearly visible in the strewn wreckage, are the remains of two Hound Dog missiles.
    Those were operationally equipped with a nuclear warhead, although I suppose the two in this incident could have been carrying inert “dummy” payloads.
    Or, maybe they were hot– but I don’t ever remember hearing of this as a nuclear incident, and I was a nuclear weapons officer in SAC.
    Very, very interesting…

• Lisa on October 15, 2013 at 9:12 am

That is an interesting observation, Dave. I never would have noticed that. Thanks for visiting and for your comments!

6. Vernon Pierce on October 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I was the GCA Radar Repairman on duty the night of this crash. The bailout alarm sounded in the radar shack and I picked up the hotline to the rapcon and ask if I really needed to leave. The answer was yes there was a full load of fuel on board. I went to the rapcon and stood behind the controller and watched him bring the plane in. I remember he said he’s down as we watched the blip line up with the touch down relfectors. Then a voice broke over the speaker above his position saying he had crashed.
    We ran downstairs and the field was on fire. It was the biggest fire I have ever seen. The control tower was closed due to renovation so they were in a portable unit on the other side of the taxiway. We wondered if they would make it through the fire. After the fire I went to the radar unit (which I believe is now at the AF Museum) and was met by an MP with an M16 who told me I couldn’t come in. I called my NCOIC and told him what had happened and asked what I should do, I was a young Sgt. He asked if I had done all my preventive maintenance that night and I told him I had he asked if I logged everything, again I told him I had. I asked why and he told me there would be an investigation and I had better have done my job. He asked about the crew and I turned and asked the guys in the rapcon and they told me they were pursumed lost. I went home that night wondering if I had been responsible for their loss. The next morning I learned the base ops officer’s headlights had shown on the nose and all crew members had survived. I believe one suffered a broken back. That night changed my life I had been talking to the FAA about a job in Columbus when I got discharged. I decided I couldn’t go to bed thinking I might be responsible for hundreds of soles on a commercial flight. I called the FAA and told them I was no longer interested in a job.

• Lisa on October 29, 2013 at 9:32 am

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of the crash with us — yet another example of how a single event can change the course of many lives.

7. Jennifer on November 19, 2013 at 4:11 pm

1st Lt. John D. Weaver, Jr. is my Uncle.

• Lisa on November 20, 2013 at 8:47 am

Thanks for sharing, Jennifer! And thanks for stopping by!

8. Patrick Stewart on January 3, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I was in the mobile tower the night of the crash. I had just got out of school for air traffic control at Biloxi,Mississippi and this was my first assignment. I had been out of school about a month, so I was sorta green you could say. We got the report that the B-52 had lost hydrolics in number 8 engine. This they said was driving a Cadillac with no power steering. I remember the plane making numerous low approaches so the crew could get a feel for of the plane. A B-52 comes in at an attack angle of somewhere around 10 degrees or so, and as it comes over runway the pilot “flairs” the nose to bring it horizontal to the runway. Well that’s what got them. All crew members were huddled in the nose of the plane. I don’t believe we were in charge at this time, but someone cleared the plane to land. The plane came in, did not flair, hit nose first on runway. When that happened, the nose broke off and rolled away from the rest of plane landing to left of runway. What was left of plane went airborne again, rolling and crashing. Big fire. Pieces of the plane was everywhere. We heard all aboard were ok, one with a back problem. The next morning I went to look a the wreck, and to my surprise, found that one of the engine pods had broke off, and was laying about 40 feet from the mobile tower. I glad they all made it, but have to say that was quite a night for a green horn controller.

• Lisa on January 8, 2014 at 9:19 am

Wow, that must have been quite a night for you, indeed! Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Patrick!

9. Donald J Luke on August 21, 2014 at 1:44 am

Patrick Stewart. I was at Wright Patterson that night. I was a SSgt and we had a B-52 mobile flight simulator parked on the base. We were based out of Castle AFB, CA. assigned to the 4017 CCTS (Combat Crew Training Squadron) The mobile flight simulators were cycled between bases every 30 days or so. I worked on aircraft for 5 years before cross-training to flight simulators so I liked to watch the aircraft land and take off. I noticed all the flashing lights and rotating beacons on all the vehicles and fire trucks out near the runway and had opened the exit door in the end of the railroad car we were in and stepped out on the threshold just as the B-52 came into my field of view off of my right side. I watched the aircraft come in and crash. I seem to remember that as the nose section broke off, the fuselage with wings and engines rose up and rolled to the right before impacting the ground and then the flames flared. I thought I saw a large part of the aircraft continue forward but, at the time didn’t realize it was the forward section . . . too much happening at once and the shock of seeing the aircraft crash . . . We were pretty close to our departure date and moving the mobile simulator to the next base in the sequence but were told we would be extended for an indefinite time while the used the simulator for investigating what happened. It was good to hear the crew had survived.

• Lisa on August 21, 2014 at 9:50 am

Wow! Thank you for sharing your recollections of that event!