New Carlisle

February 6, 2013
By

What is now New Carlisle was first established as “York” in 1810; the name was later changed in New Carlisle in 1828. Today, it is a city of about 5,800 people. Located at the intersection of State Routes 235 and 571, New Carlisle is well-connected to larger, nearby cities such as Dayton and Springfield, but still maintains the charm of a small town.

One of the city’s “claims to fame” is that John Dillinger committed his first bank robbery at the New Carlisle National Bank (southeast corner of Main & Jefferson Streets), where he stole $10,000 on June 10, 1933 June 21, 1933* (thanks to commenter Scott for bringing the error to our attention!). Photos of that bank building, as well as many other buildings and scenes in the city, can be seen in the gallery below.

* Many online sources, including Wikipedia and the New Carlisle Chamber of Commerce web site, have incorrectly stated that the date of Dillinger’s bank robbery in New Carlisle was June 10, 1933.  This error has apparently stemmed from secondary sources. However, the correct date of the robbery is definitively June 21, 1933. This has been confirmed using original primary sources, including the Dayton Daily News (June 21, 1933, pages 1 & 5 – view PDF), as well as Springfield newspapers (thanks to our friends at the Heritage Center of Clark County for their help with this). As you can see from the image of the Dayton Daily News front page on June 21, 1933 (view PDF), this robbery was front-page news. There was no robbery reported in the Dayton Daily News on either June 10 or June 11, 1933, on the front pages (view PDF) or anywhere else. Also, we have now corrected the Wikipedia article. (This paragraph added January 31, 2014.)

Tags: ,

20 Responses to New Carlisle

1. Scott on February 6, 2013 at 4:46 pm

The date of the Dillinger robbery in New Carlisle was actually June 21, 1933. If you googled it you get June 10th but if you actually looked up the robbery in the newspaper at the library you will find the correct date.

• Lisa on February 6, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Thank you for the info! We’ll look for the citation, so we can update/correct this!

• Lisa on February 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Thanks for the correction, Scott! Yes, I was able to verify this with an article from the Dayton Daily News on June 21, 1933, page 1 & 5: “Bandits Bind Cashier, Clerk and Assistant…” The robbery definitely took place on the morning of June 21, 1933. There was no mention of any bank robberies in the DDN on June 10 or 11.

2. Michael on February 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I love these old photos of my hometown! I’d love to see more! :)

• Lisa on February 10, 2013 at 2:44 pm

We’re glad you enjoyed them!

3. Dave McWhorter on January 30, 2014 at 5:36 pm

The actual date of John Dillinger robbery in New Carlisle was June 10th.
    Thanks Dave

4. Kim on January 31, 2014 at 12:44 am

I lived in the old two-story brick apartment building across from the Presbyterian Church for many years! Thank you for posting these photos!

5. Dave McWhorter on January 31, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Lisa

I am guessing that they missed the story or it was covered up at first. Then the story was released and the papers printed after the fact. I have you seen the articles in the Dayton and Springfield paper? I was wondering if sited the date?

Thanks Dave

• Lisa on January 31, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Hi, Dave, I looked up the article in the Dayton Daily News on microfilm this morning. You can see a PDF of the June 21 article here: http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/ddn_archive/DDNUploads/2014/01/DILLINGER_DDN_1933-06-21_p1-5.pdf. The date of the newspaper is June 21, the byline says “New Carlisle – June 21″, and the article states that the robbery took place “this morning.” I have not personally see the Springfield or Xenia news articles, but the archivist at the Clark County Historical Society assures me that she was handling original 1933 newspaper clippings from June 21/22 that stated the robbery date June 21, when she told me the information. None of this information is from later reports; it is all from reports on the day of or the day after, saying that the robbery took place June 21. I would be happy to entertain the possibility that for some reason it took place on the 10th and was covered up, if anyone could provide definitive proof of that; I had that thought myself when trying to riddle this out, but I can’t think of any logical reason why one would want to cover up a bank robbery only to report it with a fictitious date less than 2 weeks later.

• Dave McWhorter on January 31, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Lisa
        Lisa,
        I spoke with a local historical society member and he confirms that the June 10th date is incorrect. He has notified the owner of the building and wrote a letter to the New Carlisle Sun about the mistake, but they have not changed it. He said that the June 10th date has been perpetuated from one book to another through the years without writers locating the original sources. I am glad that is cleared up…it was bothering me.

• Lisa on February 3, 2014 at 11:06 am

Hi, Dave – Thanks for your determination to get to the bottom of this & try to get it resolved! I’m glad we were all able to uncover the truth together!

6. mike staley on August 18, 2014 at 3:05 pm

who owns the bank now?
    Is there a business there now?

• Lisa on August 18, 2014 at 4:10 pm

According to the Clark County Auditor’s web site, the building (whose address is 100 E. Jefferson St.) has been owned by Sally K. Harshbarger since 1996. You can view the Auditor’s “Property Record Card” with info about the building here: http://gis.clarkcountyauditor.org/RecordCard.aspx?ParcelID=0300500028104001. At some point in the recent past (according to the Property REcord Card), the building was used as a candle shop. In Google Maps images of the building, a real estate “For Sale” sign can be seen in the window. You might try contacting someone at the City of New Carlisle to see whether they have additional information about the building’s current use: http://www.newcarlisle.net/.