The Great Flood of March 1913 was probably the worst disaster in Dayton’s history. It is therefore not surprising that the Dayton Daily News had a large “VIP” file on the subject, as we as many photographs, since the paper published many stories about those events over the past 100 years.
In commemoration of the 1913 Flood centennial, here are some photographs depicting scenes during the 1913 flood from the Dayton Daily News Archive:
More information can be found in these resources from Wright State University Special Collections & Archives:
- Dayton Daily News Archive, DDNVIP Files, 87F, 1913 Flood (several folders).
- More Dayton Daily News Archive blog posts about 1913 Flood.
- The “Out of the Box” blog posts about 1913 Flood.
- The 1913 Flood web site section.
- Two of our online exhibits focus on the 1913 Flood.
- Manuscript collections pertaining to the 1913 Flood.
- Digital materials pertaining to the 1913 Flood, on WSU CORE.