Ohio did not make it a law to keep death records until 1867.
1867 through December 19, 1908
Ohio made it a law to record deaths in 1867. County probate courts kept death records between 1867 and December 19, 1908.
There is no statewide index to death records from 1867 through December 19,1908.
Special Collections and Archives has death records for the following counties:
- Auglaize County (microfilm)
- Clark County (microfilm)
- Darke County (microfilm)
- Mercer County (Publication of Ohio Genealogical Society, Mercer County Chapter)
- Montgomery County (microfilm)
- Shelby County (Publication of Shelby County Chapter of Ohio Genealogical Society)
- For the remaining counties in the Wright State University area, contact the
December 20, 1908 through December 31,1963
- The state of Ohio began issuing certificates for deaths on December 20, 1908. The Ohio History Connection
holds death certificates for the entire state of Ohio from December 20, 1908, through December 31,
1963. The Ohio History Connection has an online Ohio Death Certificate Index for 1913-1963 that will provide the death certificate number and instructions for requesting a copy.
January 1, 1964 to the present
Death certificates from 1964 to the present are held by the Ohio Department of Health. Please contact
the Ohio Department of