New Collection: Dayton Chamber Music Society Records

The Dayton Chamber Music Society was a private foundation based out of Dayton, Ohio. The society, which operated from 1954-2015, performed classical music in the city of Dayton through a series of concerts put on annually. The society included members from all walks of life, from members belonging to the Dayton Philharmonic to members who were teachers in the musical field. The Dayton Chamber Music Society shared their love and skill for classical music with the citizens of Dayton by participating in several artistic initiatives throughout the city, and also by providing scholarships for up and coming musical artists.

Newspaper article about Dayton Chamber Music Society performance at Art Institute, February 13, 1957. (MS-531, Box 3, File 5)

Newspaper article about Dayton Chamber Music Society performance at Art Institute, February 13, 1957. (MS-531, Box 3, File 5)

This Dayton Chamber Music Society Records (2.76 linear feet and 13.8 MB) contains the administrative and musical happenings of the Dayton Chamber Music Society over its 64-year history. This collection includes administrative papers such as member lists, meeting minutes and agendas, financial records, member correspondence, and general correspondence on group happenings. This collection also includes performance photos, performance information, newspaper media, pamphlets, and sheet music used by the organization. Materials from this collection date from 1953 to 2016.

Portion of some sheet music (autographed by composer Gregory Shepard) once performed by Dayton Chamber Music Society, 1990. (MS-531, Box 4, File 9)

Portion of some sheet music (autographed by composer Gregory Shepard) once performed by Dayton Chamber Music Society, 1990. (MS-531, Box 4, File 9)

This collection was processed in Spring 2019 by Andrea Miller. For more information about this collection, including a detailed box and file listing, please review the MS-531: Dayton Chamber Music Society Records finding aid.

This entry was posted in Collections, Local History and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *