Ivan R. Gates was an Early Bird of Aviation, receiving his pilot’s license in 1911, and is credited with starting the first flying school on the west coast in California. The collection documents Gates’ aviation business enterprises, including the Gates Flying Circus, Gates Flying Service, and the New York-based Gates Aircraft Corporation, which manufactured the Gates Belgian RSV convertible monoplane/biplane. Gates’ wife Hazel was also a pilot. The majority of the collection is contained within 4 scrapbooks (3 of photographs and 1 of newspaper clippings), along with some loose photographs and documents.
Search this Blog
Wright State University Libraries' Special Collections and Archives welcomes you to our blog. Join us as we share information, news, and special events; highlight our collections; and discuss archival issues. For more information:
* Visit our website
* Email us
* Visit us on the fourth floor of Dunbar Library
Subscribe to Blog via EmailReceive an email notification when a new post is available.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- So, you’ve decided to keep a Coronavirus diary- now what?
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Pandemic Crisis: Document Your Story
- Special Collections & Archives Reading Room Temporary Closure
- Special Collection & Archives Hours and Services During the COVID-19 Contingency Period
- The Centennial of Women’s Suffrage in the Miami Valley
- New Digital Collection: Wilbur F. H. Bigelow, Sr., Dayton-Wright Company Collection
- New Collection: Wright Field Photographs
- New Collection: Garard-Getter Family Collection
- New Collection: 1937 Flood Scrapbook
- New Collection: Ivan R. Gates Collection