Greetings! It has been my pleasure to serve as the President of the Friends of the Libraries since 2014. The Friends support the mission of the Wright State University Libraries to provide quality research services, materials and library spaces for students, faculty, staff, and the Miami Valley community. You can best support the efforts of the Wright State University Libraries by joining the Friends or making a donation to one of several funds. Let me share with you some of the activities and projects in which we are currently involved:
- Twice per year we award $500 scholarships to library student assistants. Scholarship funds are donated by library staff and matched by the Friends of the Libraries. To date, over $180,000 has been distributed to deserving students.
- In April of each year we partner with the Parent’s Association to honor the “Top Scholars” selected by the Dean’s Office in each college and the Lake Campus.
- In 2018-19 we sponsored an internship program. Two WSU students in the Communication program are producing videos highlighting rare pieces in the Special Collections and Archives. The first video features the history of Huffman Prairie.
- We support the library staff with grants for research projects, new equipment, and other special projects.
- In May, we celebrate the accomplishments of the library staff at our annual staff recognition ceremony.
- In April we host our annual luncheon. In 2019, our speaker will be author, Ann Weisgarber, a WSU alumnus and supporter of libraries and archives.
We hope these will interest you, and you might enjoy the fun by joining us as a member.